Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Raccoons and Minks

I saved a life last night! Well, I helped save a life. Of an animal. Maybe. Story time.

Me and a couple friends were going to a party. We were walking down the road, and we saw what, at first glance, looked like roadkill: a raccoon laying, unmoving, in the middle of the road. When we saw it, there was the usual "aww, poor thing."s and one of my friends said, and I quote, "Oh, that thing better not be alive." I stopped because I'm a fucking furfag so I'm thus obligated to feel bad and mourn the death of any and all roadkill. It was because of this I noticed that, yes, the raccoon was still breathing. "Um, Brandon? You jinxed it." Said I, "It's still alive." Well, we couldn't just leave it there, but what do you do with a quite possibly rabid or otherwise diseased raccoon with unknown injuries? We figured the first thing we should do is get it off the road before it got hit again. So we sacrificed a T-shirt and using it to protect from bites, we picked it up and moved it off to the side of the road. Great, now what? We still couldn't leave it, it would just die slowly, but considering it was quite definitely alive, and looking like it still had quite a bit of strength left, so we couldn't "put it out of its misery". Well we're not stupid, so we had a solution. There is a Wildlife Rehab center in our town, so we'll call them, but we were nowhere near a phone at the time, so (as usual) Brandon drew the short straw and ran off to find a pay phone. Shortly after this, (and I want to know the odds of this) the Rehab center's van drove past. We flagged it down, and after a quick explanation, they took the raccoon! Yay! I'll have to phone them later and see how the raccoon is doing. It looked like he didn't have much more than a broken shoulder or leg, so I hope he's okay. At worst they were able to make his passing painless. (Oh, and if you're wondering, Brandon ended up spending about half an hour trying to call the center, while and after they were helping the raccoon. When he gave up and came back to us, we convinced him we just through the raccoon in a bush and he wasn't our problem anymore.)



Also, I noticed that minks always seem to look really pissed off. Take a look.

Anger.

More Anger

You gon get raped.

I guess being made into coats is not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment